So I still consider myself relatively young. Nature hardly ever wakes me up overnight except this past night. I woke at 5 am to tinkle. As I laid back down, Kathy was getting up to go to 6 am mass. I tried to fall back asleep but soon decided I should take advantage and go to mass.
I'm glad I did.
We walked to the square and entered the old church. There were several nuns and novices there as well as several Guatemalans and us Americans.
It was all in Spanish, but it didn't matter. The mass is the same and so we recited the prayers and professions in English at the proper time. Many there made sure to approach us or get our attention for the sign of peace.
Such kindness in this far away city at such an early time of the day.
Breakfast followed at Cafe Condesa- quiche Lorraine and a really delicious cup of coffee.
There were 8 of us that took a tour of the city after breakfast where we learned of the history of Antigua, the volcanos, some key buildings and the importance of jade to this region.
Lots of shopping in the afternoon, a stop at the Antigua Brewery and a view of two floats passing our hotel for the Holy week celebrations was on the agenda today. Several members of our team helped make the hotels "carpet" for the procession which was an unexpected treat.
A fancy dinner of seafood crepes and a walk back to the hotel for our final evening devotions.
Among the prayers and a few tears- Tim spoke. He thanked the new team members and told us to give ourselves a few days to return to our normal lives. The transition may be difficult. Then he presented each of us with a Jade cross pendant. The lump in my throat was uncomfortable and sad and proud and all sorts of things. This week has given me lots to consider about what's important to me and to how I live my life and treat others. I am going to miss these friends I have come to know this past week- We leave in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment