And so it begins.
It's 6:22 and I'm taxiing down the runway at Cleveland Airport. On board are 23 ish (I guess I should know by now how many people are in our group) wonderfully spiritual people that I'm about to get to know really well. Most of them have made this trip before- some for many years now. I am one of a few "newbies" and they have welcomed us with open arms. While I have learned so much in my preparations over the last 9 months, I imagine it pales in comparison to what I'm about to learn in the next 9 days.
I've wanted to go on a mission trip for many years- and that wish was strengthened several years ago when Christian returned from his Kenya trip. He was there working on a research study involving mangrove trees on the coast of Kenya. He was primarily working with other Americans (and maybe Europeans) but he went into a village or two to see their schools and I was fascinated by the people. To experience another culture so different from ours was amazing to me. Pictures of Kenyan villagers have hung on our wall in the den since that trip. I was struck by their smiles and happiness even though they had very little. Sometimes I wonder what they are doing now.
There are so many people who have supported me on this adventure. It was important to me to pay for the trip myself..not that asking for monetary support is bad, but I wanted this to be my thing. My way of giving back I guess. The support I received was for all the other things.
Donated suitcases and eyeglasses and used scrubs from many women in the Willoughby Junior Women's Club all of which will be left there to be used by the locals in addition to 3 beautiful hand made blankets. A friend of one of the members sent a heavy box of her uniforms all the way from Colorado with a very heartfelt note. A long time close friend gave me some money to be used specifically for me. I bought an otoscope, some other medical equipment and 3 reference books that helped me better understand how to provide care in a third world country.
Amy Kurnick gave me a St Joseph's token which I have on my person and plan to have all week (He is the patron saint of travel and healing) and lent me her bible to use during our devotions each day.
My Mother in law and her Zonta Club womens group in Kenmore (and Grand Island) spent several hundred dollars and several hours making 500 birthing kits that we are bringing with us to be distributed to the local midwives.
The well wishes and prayers from friends and family and my patients in Willoughby have been overwhelming. Lastly my husband has been incredibly supportive of this trip and has been the one to give me courage to actually make this a reality.
Many of you know I had a health scare 2 years ago which put a lot of things in perspective for me. Tomorrow is not certain and so even though we still have two kids at home- and two in college- it didn't make sense to me to put this off. When I brought up the possibility of looking into the trip- Christian enthusiastically said "you have to go". And so here we are.
It may sound sappy but I really feel like I'm bringing a little part of all of you on this journey. I'm going to do my best. Thank you. I'm a very lucky woman today.
I can't wait to hear about your trip when you return! Please spend some time with me and share. I am definitely returning next year and hope you will also. You and the team are in my prayers for fsafe travels. Peace. ❤
ReplyDeleteYou are a beautiful writer and soul!
ReplyDelete