Wednesday, March 29, 2017


Day 2 of clinic in Pinada.
I fell asleep last night probably around 9:30 and woke at 5:30. Slept hard even though we were sleeping in a room of 20 people on a weathered concrete floor very similar to my garage. Many of my fellow travelers are morning people. One alarm goes off and...Light on. Sleeping bags rolled up and on with the day. 
Breakfast was corn flakes and non refrigerated boxed milk. Villagers were already gathering and we didn't start for another hour. They watched us eat. One dog was brave enough to come to where we were sitting and he was rewarded with two bowls of left over milk. The Guatemalan women nearby were pointing and whispering. One laughed. The others didn't. 
I wanted to see the pediatric clinic today and Becky, who functions as a pediatrician here is  a pediatric neuropsychologist in our world, invited me to come help her clinic. Together we saw scabies, heat rash, stomach aches, headaches, lots of big parasitic bellies, more coffee  and water issues, but mostly happy little children and grateful moms. Another wonderful day. 
At lunch we played the picture game. They loved having their picture taken and then looking at it. That's it. 
After clinic I played football (catch) with about ten boys all about 6-10. They thought it was funny to play catch with me. Maybe because I was a woman or maybe because of something else- but we had fun.
I made the mistake of bringing out a bag of almonds- they swarmed.. pushing and shoving and grabbing... I almost fell twice. even though I was mostly laughing. Was another moment of " these people have nothing- and if there is a scarce commodity available to them they will fight for it.  
At the end of the day Many watched us as we packed the trucks back up and pulled away. Families - some of whom I recognized were standing outside their houses for the first several miles to watch our caravan leave at 3:45

On our way back to the hotel now. A cool shower and some food will be nice.
I am hoping the wifi is working when we get back to the hotel. I'd love to talk to my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment